Saturday, July 23, 2011

Keeping it Real

I realize this blog can read like the most obnoxious, longest Christmas letter you've ever received, detailing
how great our kids are (which they totally are!) and how happy and wonderful our family is (which may be a stretch). So this post is dedicated to keeping it real and may or may not actually make it into the annual blog book I print in place of keeping a baby book.

It's no secret Cora is a terrible sleeper. Always has been. Since Annaliese was born, bedtime battles have reached a new level of awful, going on for as long as two hours complete with tantrums, primal screams, threats and Chris and I both dangling from the end of our totally frayed ropes. We've tried different sticks like shutting her bedroom door, taking away cartoon privlidges in the morning and spankings. We ignore her (or at least ignore her pleas). We've tried various carrots like laying down beside her till she falls asleep, leaving the light on, stuffed animals, etc. We've moved her bedtime up to 7 pm and as late as 8:30. Nothing works for long with this kid. It is beyond frustrating. And you start to wonder if you're the world's worst parent and your child is running your household, holding everyone hostage by refusing to go to sleep.

We finally asked for help, something we should have done a long time ago. I met with an early childhood specialist I know through our library play group. She said Cora has control issues around bedtime and suggested we try a sticker reward chart since that worked really well to get her potty trained. The first night we decorated the new chart, hung it on her door and picked out special Dora stickers. We go through our night time routine of bedtime stories, prayers and songs. So far so good. Then comes the moment of truth. I kiss her goodnight and walk out of the room.

I barely make it to the bottom of the stairs before the crying starts, just a complaining whine. "Mom-meeeeee, I don't want this sticker chart." I ignore her. Then louder, "Mommy! I don't want this sticker chart!" I still ignore her, hoping for a miracle. Then yelling, "MOMMY! I DO NOT WANT THIS STICKER CHART!" Next I hear her get out of bed, rip the chart off the door, tear it up and throw the crumpled pieces over the banister. Game on. That night, Cora *has* to go to the potty three times, grabs her bedside lamp and cries that her hand is burning and on and on and on. Chris & I talked about never having any more children and invented a new cocktail.

The next night she says she wants her sticker chart, so we salvage what we can and tape it up. 30 minutes of whining and she is asleep. She wakes up, gets a sticker. Night three is another success, and she gets another sticker.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If this works, stickers for everyone!

And in other notes from the Parent Fail department, I thought I could use chocolate pudding to do "pudding painting" and work on learning her letters. I underestimated the power of chocolate. She ate it all and didn't practice writing a single letter. Better luck next time, Mom.


  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm so sorry it's been such a battle w/ her :( I wish I could help but it sounds like the specialist may have already done that! Maybe she'll have some setbacks but it can't last forever. I can only image the frustration you guys have been thru though. And you two are the best parents. What other type of parent would have persevered thru something so hard, and still manage to be raising a healthy, happy, wonderful child? No one would ever know the Bedtime Devil she turns into at night ;)
So remember that while this isn't the highlight of your parenting experience, you're doing so much good w/ her in every way. She's going to grow up to be such an incredible person b/c of you and Chris.
Hang in there. Love you.