Dear Pat:
At the risk of being overly sentimental, I want you to know without a shadow of a doubt how much I love you.
I love you because you can recite the Canterbury Tales from memory.
I love you because you bust out some beautiful tunes on the piano as if you played daily.
I love you because you have GREAT expressions like, "Early to bed, early to rise, work your ass off and MOUISTURIZE."
I love you because you love my kids. I'll never forget how you beamed introducing the girls as your granddaughters, which of course they are, but it made me so happy that you see yourself as having that special role in their lives.
I love you because of all you've done for my dad. You've held him together when he needed it, and I am so glad you two have each other.
I love you for introducing Chris and me to your circle of friends. It says a lot about a person to have lifelong friendships that are as relevant now as they were when they began, and I love you that you're that kind of forever friend.
I love you because you truly have the gift of gab. I've never known anyone who can work a room as effortless as you do -- you find common ground with EVERYONE you talk to and make friends every where you go. You're my role model in this area!
I love you for putting up with me. I know it took me a while to warm up, but it was never anything to do with you. It was just the angst of a young person wrestling with her parents' divorce.
And I love you because you are you -- the one-of-a-kind, larger than life Horace Pat Baker.
I could go on, but I'll stop here and just say you're important to Chris, Cora, Annaliese and me. We believe in you, we believe in the healing power of God and prayer, and we're with you through this every step of the way. I can't wait to see you and my dad soon and just enjoy being together.
All my love and prayers,
Carolyn
His response to my email:
Carolyn, you and AR and David are the children that I never had. You and AR have given me the grandchildren I would never have had an opportunity to love and enjoy. You sincere. caring thoughts are deep felt and will always have a "special place" in my heart and soul. I, too, look forward to being with you over the holidays.
With sincere love,
Patrick
| My dad's 70th |
![]() |
| Christmas 2011 |
| Christmas 2008 |
| Chris' graduation, May 2009 |
| The last time I saw him, Christmas 2013 |

No comments:
Post a Comment